CISCO N-Vest Cover Crop Mixes
N-Vest Cover Crop Mixes are the standard stock mixes we keep on hand at all times. These mixes have proven to be very effective on farm.
Crimson Cover-All Mix
Crimson Cover-All is a mix of crimson clover and cover crop radish. It works well ahead of a corn rotation.
Benefits of Crimson Cover-All Mix
- excellent winter hardiness
- deep, fibrous root system combined of the crimson clover combined with the tap root of the radish
improve water and nutrient cycling
- can produce up to 140 units of N/acre within 90 days following wheat
- earthworm “Heaven”
- easy to terminate
- deep and fibrous root system (21” deep)
- Radishes winterkill, excellent winterhardy crimson clover
- plant six weeks before a hard freeze, ideally after wheat for the most benefits
Click here to see the Crimson Cover-All tech sheet.
Forager Mix is a mix of cereal rye, oats, and turnips. It was designed primarily for the livestock producer who not only wants the soil benefit, but also wants the hay-saving benefit of rotationally grazing cattle. Farmers want more value from their cover crop by using it for feed, soil health improvement, as well as using the livestock to distribute the manure across the field.
Benefits of Forager Mix
- Excellent choice for aerial application into standing row crops. Can also be drilled or broadcast.
- The oats and turnips grow the fastest in the fall and the rye is available for grazing over the winter and spring.
- Provides excellent feed for cattle. (Cattle gained 3.5#/day weight gain in Illinois tests on Forager Mix
- Produces deep roots
- Scavenges nitrogen
Click here to view the Forager tech sheet.
Groundbreaker Mix was created to do just what the name says - break up compacted soils. It's a mixture of Austrian winter peas and cover crop radish. In some testing we did in Johnson County, Groundbreaker outperformed several other mixes in breaking up compaction. This mix works well ahead of corn.
Benefits of Groundbreaker Mix
- peas can produce 60-120 units of N per acre
- peas will usually winterkill; if not, can easily be terminated in the spring
- great for improving soil health and soil tilth
- an excellent home for earthworms
- farmers always tell us how mellow the ground is following this mix
Click here to view the Groundbreaker tech sheet.
Nutribuilder is a three way mix of annual ryegrass, crimson clover, and cover crop radish. It combines the deep rooting of the ryegrass, the scavenging action of the radish, and the nitrogen production of the clover to produce a great crop growing environment.
It's a simple mix with big results
The seeding rate is 20-25 lb./acre.
Benefits of NutriBuilder Mix
- Produces Nitrogen
A good stand of this mix should produce
up to 60-100 pounds of N/acre.
- Scavenges and Holds Nitrogen
Tests have shown cover crop radish have scavenged as much as 130 pounds of N/acre (tops and tubers combined—with manure applied). According to multi-State research, Annual Ryegrass can scavenge well over 300 pounds of N/acre.
- attracts earthworms
- deep Rooted: Great for breaking through compaction
- most beneficial planted after wheat and six weeks before a killing frost
Click here to view the Nutribuilder tech sheet.
Oats & Radish Mix
A long time crowd favorite, our Oats & Radish Mix is a simple and effective mix for the novice cover cropper or the long time cover cropping guru. Both the oats and the radish will winter kill, which means you don't have to worry about termination before establishing your cash crop. Plant at least 6 weeks before a killing frost.
Benefits of Oats & Radish Mix
- a mix of high quality oat seed and Scav-N-ger® radish
- will winter kill
- great for a first time cover cropper
- produces a lot of biomass
- soil tilth builder and nutrient scavenger
- can be drilled or broadcast
- performs very well following a manure application
- very cost effective
For planting guidelines, see our Seeding Information Guide.